Christian Taplan (Ghent University) won the Battle of the Scientists 2019 trophy, with his presentation on how to make plastic recyclable. The Battle of the Scientists found place at the International School Leuven on 29 March 2019. Five scientists presented their research in front of one hundred children of the international schools of Leuven and Ghent.
The 5 scientists
- Marcella Fernandes de Souza (Ghent University): From grass to gas… and beyond!
- Ioanna Chatzigiannidou (Ghent University): The battle inside our mouth: ‘Good’ Vs ‘Bad’ bacteria
- Christian Taplan (Ghent University): Make more plastic recyclable
- Laurent Lemmens (SCK-CEN – KU Leuven): Determining the location of a waste disposal
- Bianca Drepper (KU Leuven): Climate Change – is it become too warm for apples and pears?
Winner Christian Taplan uses spaghetti and plasticine to explain how we can recycle plastic:
The children of the international schools of Leuven and Ghent ask very intelligent questions!
About the Battle of the Scientists
The Battle of the Scientist is a competition in which 5 scientists present their research to a room filled with children at a primary school. The children organise the battle themselves and vote for the winning presentation. Learn more about the Battle of the Scientists.